Sometimes you flick through the catalogue and a set immediately says, USE me! Flowering Desert was one of those sets for me. However, on inking it for the first time I didn’t know what to do with it! Thank goodness for the web – images of cacti saved the day. It is a really versatile set with 16 stamps. You can build your cactus anyway you like and they all look good. This card was very popular on Saturday and they were all different and gorgeous.
The technique we used to add shading to the cacti was to ink the image in Granny Apple Green ink then add Garden Green ink with a dauber around the edges. Can you see the pristine new daubers in the second picture? This was before the lovely attendees started making, by the end of the day they were a deep green.
Here are the instructions to make this card:
- Cut a piece of thin Whisper White 9 cm by 13.3 cm.
- Cut a piece of Lovely Lipstick 9.5 cm by 13.8 cm.
- Cut a piece of Granny Apple Green 10 cm by 14.3 cm
- Stamp the 3 prong cactus first. Ink the stamp in the Granny Apple Green then use a dauber with the Garden Green ink to add darker highlights.
- Add the leaf at the base of the pronged cactus inked in Garden Green.
- Build the knobbly cactus with pieces. Again ink in Granny Apple Green and add the highlights in Garden Green with the dauber.
- Stamp the flowers in Lovely Lipstick ink. Stamp two flowers without re-inking to get the lighter effect.
- Stamp the sentiment in Lovely Lipstick ink on a scrap of Whisper White. Use the rectangular stitched framelits to cut it out.
Assembling the card
- Tie the Baker’s Twine around the Whisper White layer before adhering to the Lovely Lipstick and Granny Apple Green Mounts.
- Add the sentiment with dimensionals.
The other thing to spot in the second photo is the jelly beans. Why did they go into the glass bottles ok but wouldn’t come out? Sorry everyone for giving you sweets you couldn’t eat! Luckily the chocolate bars were much more accessible!